6-cup / 30 oz
Simple, easy to use with timeless, elegant design, the CHEMEX® Six Cup Classic delivers the purest flavour experience when it comes to pour over coffee.
- Can be covered and refrigerated for reheating without losing flavour
- Height: 8 1/2"
- Diameter: 5 1/8"
- Borosilicate glass does not absorb odours or chemical residues
- For best results, clean with our Decanter Brush
Why We Love This
Invented and designed by chemist Peter Schlumbohm, the famous design is beautiful enough to reside in the Museum of Modern Art in New York. But looks aside, the Chemex coffeemaker is one of the easiest and most delicious ways to manually make coffee. No pods, no plugs, just you and the art of brewing.
Directions for Use
- Select your favorite whole bean coffee you want to enjoy and grind it to medium coarse ground.
- Open a Chemex Coffee Filter into a cone shape so that one side of the cone has three layers, and place it into the top of the Chemex brewer. The thick three-layer portion should cover the pouring spout.
- Dampen the filter with warm water to rinse and preheat the brewer. Once the water has drained through the filter completely, pour it out of the brewer while keeping the filter sealed against the coffeemaker wall.
- Put one rounded tablespoon of ground coffee for every 5 oz. cup into the filter cone. Feel free to use more if you prefer it stronger; the Chemex brewing process eliminates bitterness.
- Boil your water, preferably with a gooseneck kettle. Once you have brought the appropriate amount of water to a boil, remove it from the heat and allow it to stop boiling vigorously. Perfect brewing temperature is about 200°F.
- Pour a small amount of water over the coffee grounds to wet them, and wait for about 30 seconds for them to “bloom”, releasing the most desirable coffee elements from the grounds.
- After the grounds bloom, slowly pour the brewing water over the grounds while keeping the water level well below the top of the Chemex (quarter inch or more).
- Slowly pour the remaining water over the grounds, using a circular or back-and-forth motion as you pour to ensure an even soaking of the grounds.
- Once the desired amount of coffee is brewed, lift the filter with spent grounds out of the brewer and compost.
- Pour your freshly made coffee into your Chemex mug and indulge in the flavour!
The Chemex is dishwasher safe; just be sure to remove the collar and tie, and make sure that the coffeemaker wont knock against anything. It can also be hand washed by swirling around warm soapy water in the carafe and then rinsing it out. A decanter brush is very helpful too (like this one here)!
Non-porous Borosilicate glass. Polished wood collar with leather tie.